ADDITION & RENOVATION
This was the fourth project South Coast Improvement Company had recently done in the waterfront area of New Bedford. This project involved the construction of a 6,500 square-foot addition to the existing YWCA building. The new addition would be used for after-school childcare and supportive women’s housing programs.
The project also involved:
- Installation of an all-glass storefront connector from the existing building to addition.
- Creation of eight dorm-style rooms on the second floor of the addition; addition also featured common area living, dining, and facilities.
- Renovation of floors one and two in the existing building, which includes offices, function room and reception area.
- Development of offices and reception, 3 classrooms, facilities, a playground in the addition.
- Working around historical components in the existing building, including rewiring 100-year-old lighting fixtures
- Lead abatement
The project began in the spring of 2018 and was completed in July of 2019. The total cost of the renovation was $2.7 million.
“This extension here will better serve well over 5,000 women and children in this community and that’s in itself a fantastic thing, all under one roof,” said State Representative Senator Antonio Cabral, who represents Bristol County, District 13.